The town of Westvoorne is a municipality that economically depends on its tourism sector. In the last decades the municipality has developed into a recreation and nature area. This is also manifested by the number of visitors to the island. In its future vision the municipality has declared to preserve the nature reserves and make these better accessible for nature lovers.
The natural areas are characterized by a great variety of landscapes and species. Here grow more than half of the common species of wild plants and breed two thirds of all common birds in the Netherlands. The area Voornes Duin is one of the most species-rich dunes of Western Europe.
- 92% of the municipality area are non-built-up and even 100% of the coastline are free of buildings (pavilions only)
- There are two blue flags on the bathing beaches of Rockanje
- The municipal monument list comprises 80 buildings, including churches, windmills and the lighthouse Steenen Baak from the year 1630
- The beaches are classified by the municipality into three categories: 1.) family sport beach 2.) family beach with surfing and 3.) beach for extreme sports
VISTAS BEST PRACTICE CASES:
Point for improvement:
- It is important to improve the information provided on climate and sustainability to residents, visitors and businesses