With over 4 million visitors a year, Schouwen-Duiveland is a populair holiday destination in the Netherlands. From families and sun worshipers enjoying the beautiful beaches to thousands of people enjoying the range of possibilities of hiking and cycling. Bird watchers and nature seekers are in the right place in Schouwen-Duiveland too with its rich nature and animal life.
Schouwen-Duiveland is surrounded by the North Sea and Voordelta and two of the most important water- and nature areas of the West of Europe, the Grevelingen and the national park of De Oosterschelde. There is excellent zoning which conserves nature while visitors are still allowed to enter the nature areas. Visitors are informed about nature, environment and Deltawerken in 4 different visitors centers.
- Schouwen-Duiveland is striving to be completely self sufficient in 2040
- The policies and programmes concerning beach cleaning, disabled people and measuring water quality have improved compared to 2011
- A steady and broad attention of the municipality for sustainability, resulting into a number of improvements, especially in the field of Nature information & education, Green Policies and Community and Tourism related policies mark Schouwen-Duiveland
VISTAS BEST PRACTICE CASES:
- Park and Ride Renesse (draft)
Points for improvement:
- Water regulation is one point that could be improved in Schouwen-Duiveland