Being the only town on the south coast of Crete, Ierapetra is the most populous town in the region of Lasithi. Today the area of Ierapetra is one of the most productive regions of Greece and one of Europe’s main sources of early fresh fruits, vegetables, olive oil and flowers. Ierapetra has a lot to offer to its visitors and is a great place to enjoy beautiful nature and traditional Greek atmosphere.
With an average mark of an 8,1 for the QualityCoast Policy Award, Ierapetra was awarded a Gold Award with excellence in Environment, Identity and Socio-Economics. With a number of important cultural features and the traditional way of cultivation in agriculture still being present, local identity is an important issue for Ierapetra. Their highest score goes to socio-economics, with excellent destination management involving different stakeholders through the Municipal Tourist Committee.
- The community of Ierapetra recognizes how important it is to teach young people about sustainability, therefore ca. 60% of schools are implementing environmental education programs. This includes ca. 30% of elementary schools and ca. 90% of high schools
- Periods of fishing bans are introduced in order to support sustainable fisheries
- The municipality is engaged in various studies and measures to protect and restore open landscapes, both in small settlements and open areas
- The percentage of the population connected to waste water treatment plants is relatively high: 100% of Ierapetra city (50% of total population) and 50% of the villages
VISTAS BEST PRACTICE CASES:
- The construction of an artificial wetland at Bramiana
- The conservation of coastal dunes at Chrysi Island
Points of improvement:
- More sustainable ways of transportation should be introduced in the destination