West Region (PT)
With a very mild climate and a non-built up area of 87%, beautiful scenery and with magnificent beaches interconnected to the country side through beautiful scenery and intense green spots, dotted with white houses.
The West Region, comprising the municipalities of Alcobaça, Alenquer, Arruda dos Vinhos, Bombarral, Cadaval, Caldas da Rainha, Lourinhã, Nazaré, Óbidos, Peniche, Sobral de Monte Agraço and Torres Vedras, is a unique and common cultural region shaped by centuries of cultivation of vines and has a very strong attachment to the land and the sea. West Region(Oeste CIM) aims at achieving common interests that compromise the 12 municipalities seeking to promote sustainable development and improved quality of life.
- A large part of this territory is classified as REN and RAN, Ecological Reserve and Agriculture Reserve, protected by legal regulations and many Natura2000 site among many, Serra do Montejunto, Peniche/Santa Cruz, Bird Site Ilhas Berlenga etc. It also compromises the underwater reef of Nazaré which is the greatest in Europe
- Turismo do Oeste offers brochures and promotional material in 5 languages, including information about natural areas
- The Project “Accessible Beach” makes about 16 beaches accessible to people with disabilities. Also the majority of urban beaches have waste separation facilities, cleaned daily and 99% have status excellent under the EU bathing water directive
- A distinctive cultural heritage demonstrated in many museums and well restored historical buildings including the United Nation World Heritage Site “Monastery of Alcobaça”
VISTAS BEST PRACTICE CASES:
Point for improvement:
- The commitment to sustainability issues should involve all the 12 municipalities more and focus less on the single regions in particular