Norderney is a German dune island located in the North Sea. It belongs to the Wadden Sea Unesco World Heritage as part of the German Wadded Sea National Parks of Lower Saxony and Schleswig Holstein. Together with the Dutch Wadden Sea Conservation Area they have been selected because of its outstanding universal value as an ecosystem.
Norderney places a lot of importance on nature and nature conservation with approximately 80% of terrestrial area and 100% of marine area being protected. The Nationalpark-Haus Norderney informs visitors about the Wadden Sea and organizes guided nature excursions and tours (tidal flat walks, fishery experiences and guided beach combing).
- 99% of public buildings and services use eco energy and CO2-neutral gas
- The municipality promotes the use of renewable energy on the whole island
- Health tourism becomes very important and thalassotherapy is used to promote Norderney as a green island
- The whole island has excellent bathing water quality
Point for improvement:
- Norderney has its own eco label “Norderneyer eco flower” for tourism enterprises. However, international eco labels have the advantage that their procedure is standardized for every country and comparisons can be made. Norderney already recognized the problem and is discussing whether they want to replace the current eco label with a national or European one