Migliarino San Rossore (IT)
Located on the northern central coastal area ofTuscany between Viareggio and Livorno, the Migliarino-San Rossore-Massaciuccoli Regional Park presents a variety of environments, including wetlands, marshes, woodlands and sand dunes which support rich biological diversity of flora and fauna.
Although the park was established in 1979 and it is situated in the middle of a highly urbanized area, about 95% of the Regional Park area is non-built up. This gives an idea about the long and strong commitment that has been made in order to preserve this natural environment.
- Several nature oriented visitor and environmental educational centres welcome visitors to discover historical, naturalistic and environmental features of the area: Tenuta di San Rossore, Sterpaia, Villa Medicea di Coltano, Villa Borbone, Oasi Lipu Massaciuccoli
- Lago Massaciuccoli Special Protected Area is the most famous Italian bird area since 1800, hosting over 200 species
- All public beaches have an excellent bathing water quality according to EU standards, and they all have special facilities for disabled
- Declared a Biosphere Reserve in 2009, the forest of Selva Pisana provides habitat for some rare species that have disappeared from most of Italy and the Mediterranean region
VISTAS BEST PRACTICE CASES:
Point of improvement:
- Local business should be encouraged to participate more actively in the sustainable development of the destination through, for example, certification and eco-labelling schemes