“Less thoughts, more memories”
With a total area of only 64.5km² and a population of under 3000 people, Alonissos is a small and picturesque island that is part of the Northern Sporades located in the Aegean sea, Greece. Its rich nature, true cultural identity and great offer of local food make Alonissos a unique holiday destination.
Marine conservation is an important issue for Alonissos. The waters surrounding Alonissos are 100% protected marine area which offers the endangered monk seal a safe habitat to live in. It is the only marine national park in Greece and the largest in Europe. Alonissos is also a place where people can still find a traditional Greek experience; not only the architecture in old town Chora proves that, but also the true Greek food is a good example of this.
Positive aspects 2014:
- 100% is protected terrestrial nature
- Many initiatives have been taken in order to measure energy consumption and to promote energy conservation, e.g. the “green roof” project
- Rich tradition and architecture maintained in the original local style
- Online available information from the monthly meetings of the tourism board. The public could contribute with the ideas and suggestions
- Alonissos is a safe destination for its residents and tourists
VISTAS BEST PRACTICE CASES:
Point for improvement 2014:
- Continuation of waste recycling improvements. Encourage tourism-related enterprises to participate in waste reduction and recycling.