Located just north of Holland’s most popular beach-side resort Scheveningen, Wassenaar is one of the greenest coastal destinations of The Netherlands. It has 8 kilometres of clean beaches and with no boulevard or buildings on the coast, it has a very untouched character. With a large variety of estates and manor houses, the municipality is one of the most exclusive areas in Holland. Moreover, the area is of great natural beauty with a large portion of its territory protected.
The town is paying attention to green mobility (a train to the beach); and has proven to conserve the open nature and cultural-historical value of the landscape .
- Almost 40% of the territory is protected nature and all bathing sites are of Excellent quality
- The municipality boasts an impressive list of monumental buildings and has active programme to conserve these resources
- Climate adaptation plan is planned for 2015
Point for improvement:
- Visitor information can be improved
- The estates that are open to public could be better connected to create more opportunities for visitors to enjoy the area